Australian Consulate-General
Shanghai, China

Consular Services

Consular Assistance

Emergency Services in China

Hospitals and Medical Services (a small selection)

Travel Advice

Overseas Voting

Notarial Services

List of Law Firms

List of Translation Companies


Frequently Asked Question - Australians in Shanghai (18 May 2022)


What is the Australian Government doing to help Australians in Shanghai?

  • The Australian Government knows that lockdowns and other measures to address COVID-19 are having a significant impact on Australians.
  • The Australian Consulate-General in Shanghai has received enquiries from Australians, and we are taking your concerns seriously. 
  • We continue to engage directly with Chinese officials on COVID-19 response measures and issues affecting Australians in Shanghai.
  • For consular support specific to your individual circumstances, please contact us at: [email protected] or +86 (21) 2215 5200.
  • For 24-hour emergency consular support Australians can call +61 2 6261 3305 (from overseas) or 1300 555 135 (from within Australia).
  • Check with your hotel, airline, local media and authorities regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.


What do we do in the event of a medical emergency?  Are Hospitals still open for medical emergencies?

  • The Shanghai municipal government has announced that hospital emergency rooms will be available for medical emergencies. We note some foreign nationals have reported difficulties getting permission from their communities to leave temporarily, even in a medical emergency. 


  • If you have difficulties leaving your community or accessing medical facilities in an emergency, please contact us at: +86 (21) 2215 5200 for consular assistance.
  • For non-emergencies, there are clinics in Shanghai which offer online medical advice during the lockdown and you can contact them directly through their websites.


Are parents and children being separated to go to quarantine facilities? What if it happens to my family?

  • Local authorities have said that under some circumstances parents can apply to accompany their children in quarantine facilities.
  • If you encounter a situation where your family might be separated and you require consular assistance, please contact us on +86 (21) 2215 5200 and we will make every effort to assist where possible.


What if I cannot leave my building in an emergency or will be stopped from leaving in an emergency?

  • In the first instance you should contact your building management or neighbourhood committee representative to protest the restriction of your movement should an emergency occur.


  • Contact your local Public Security Bureau (Police) office and register your complaint.


  • Contact the Australian Consulate-General on +86 (21) 2215 5200.


Can the Australian Consulate-General help Australian nationals leave?  Am I able to fly out of Shanghai?

  • Currently, tickets on commercial flights from Shanghai to Australia (directly and indirectly) remain available. 


  • Prior to travelling, we recommend that you familiarise yourself with the most recent advice, so that you do not have any difficulties at the airport. 


  • If you have any questions or concerns before you travel, please contact us at: [email protected] or +86 (21) 2215 5200 for consular assistance.


What happens to my passport that I am waiting for?  Can I pick it up at the Consulate?   Will it be delivered by EMS if I selected that option?

  • If your passport is currently held at the Consulate-General, EMS courier services are not operational in Shanghai, so we are unable to send your passport to you directly.  Please contact the Consulate-General by email or phone if you plan to travel and require your passport urgently. 


  • Passport collection for updating/extending visas, or non-urgent travel is not considered time critical, therefore we ask that you wait until courier services or in-person services are operational again to collect your passport.


I have upcoming travel plans – can I apply for a new passport now? 

  • During the lockdown period in Shanghai, the Consulate-General cannot provide in-person passport services. 


  • If you are outside of Shanghai and can lodge your passport application at another Consulate-General in Mainland China or the Embassy in Beijing, that would be advisable. 


  • If you are in Shanghai and need to apply for a new passport, including an emergency passport, please contact us at: [email protected] or +86 (21) 2215 5200.


How can I get to the Airport?

  • Please liaise with your neighbourhood committee about transport services for PCR testing and the airport, and any necessary approvals to depart your accommodation to get to the airport.  If the Committee is not able to assist, please contact us at: [email protected] or +86 (21) 2215 5200.


  • A taxi service is the most reliable transport method. The taxi services will take you to the Airport Shuttle locations, or to the Airport directly.


  • The Consulate does not maintain an active list of taxi providers because of the daily changes in service providers and regulations.  Details for current and active service providers are circulating through community WeChat groups, and your neighbourhood committee may be able to assist. If you are unable to find a current transport provider, please contact us at: [email protected] or +86 (21) 2215 5200.


  • The Airport Shuttle service is still operational, although it can be difficult to secure transport to the shuttle stops. Please factor transit considerations into your travel plans. 


Can the Consulate help with my pets if I must leave?

  • Pet owners are advised to stock up on the necessary pet supplies and make advance arrangements with your vet, boarding facility, neighbour, or other emergency contact(s) to pick up and look after your pet, in the event you are required to move in response to pandemic-control measures or for urgent travel.


How can I access food, water and other supplies? 

  • Due to city-wide supply chain disruptions, Shanghai residents are finding it difficult to procure suitable types/quantities of food, water, and other supplies.  Access to food and supplies varies across the city, and delivery services are delayed or unpredictable.


  • In the first instance, you should approach your building management, neighbourhood committee or hotel management to request assistance. 


  • Many communities have set up chat groups for bulk ordering and delivery. 


  • If you continue to encounter difficulties, please contact us at: [email protected] or +86 (21) 2215 5200 for consular assistance.


I’m in lockdown in China and can’t leave my apartment – will I be able to vote in the federal election?

  • For Australians in lockdown, the AEC recommends completing an overseas notification form, which confirms the voter is unable to vote due to being overseas.  This will not allow you to vote but can help avoid follow-up correspondence.


  • Under Australia’s current election legislation, it is not possible to vote electronically or by telephone overseas. This includes Australians in lockdown areas who cannot submit postal votes or attend in-person voting stations because of movement restrictions.


  • Further information on Australia’s electoral processes and legislation governing overseas voting is available on the AEC website.



Personal information provided to the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) is protected by law, including the Privacy Act 1988. We may collect, use and disclose your personal information, including to overseas recipients where we reasonably believe it is necessary, to provide you with consular assistance. Important information about the privacy of your personal information is contained in our Consular Privacy Collection Statement, which you should read and understand. Copies of the Statement are available at or by requesting a copy from the Department.