Centrelink - Department of Human Services (DHS) International Services
What we can and cannot do
- Assisting Australians overseas within limits.
Legal Advice. The Consular Section does NOT:
- give you legal advice, interpret or translate documents, though we may provide details of some local lawyers.
- intervene in another country's court proceedings or legal matters including employment disputes, commercial disputes, criminal cases and family law matters or child custody disputes.
- get you out of prison or prevent you from being deported
- post bail or pay your fines or legal expenses.
- enforce an Australian or any other custody agreement overseas or compel a country to decide a custody case.